What is the Difference between a Gas Engineer and a Plumber?

If you’ve been searching for gas safe engineers in Kingston, you might be wondering about the difference between gas engineers and plumbers. It can be confusing to know who to call as the roles may seem to overlap. Tradesmen can be qualified in both areas but it’s important to ensure that whoever you have hired is fully qualified! Below, we’ve outlined some steps to take so that you can make sure you are using a registered and trustworthy tradesman.

What steps should I take to establish a trusted plumber or gas engineer?


  • First of all, always clarify upon booking the type of job required and whether the operative booked is qualified and confident to work on all aspects required. This could be, for example, a boiler service, in which you would need a gas safe registered engineer that is in Kingston. If you also have a plumbing job in Kingston at the same time see if that service engineer is also confident in plumbing or if it’s a separate job.
  • Remember the below. Gas Safe is the name of the gas industry’s governing body – they make and enforce the rules. Engineers can have different levels of qualifications; therefore, if you are having a fire service by a gas safe engineer in Kingston. They don’t just need a gas safe registration, they need to have fire as a qualification underneath the gas safe umbrella. On their website, you can check what appliance or work you are having and the qualification required. For example, see some types of individual qualifications below. These refer to types of works or appliances and are separate qualifications.

+ Building Regs

+ Combustion Analysis

+ Cooker


+ Fire

+ Gas Boiler

+ Meters

+ Pipework

+ Range Cooker

+ Unvented Cylinders

+ Vented Cyl

+ Water Heater

  • You should also ask which association the company belongs to. The main trade associations for electricians, plumbers and heating engineers are: GAS SAFE, NICEIC, NAPIT, APHC, HETAS and ELECSA.
  • Alternatively, if you’re looking for gas safe engineers in Kingston and/or the surrounding area, you can contact us here and get a quote for one of our registered gas engineers or plumbers. All of our operatives are fully qualified in their area of expertise, highly skilled and monitored.

And what about electricians?


If you’re interested in hiring gas safe engineers in Kingston, you might also want some information about finding a trusted electrician in your area. As we mentioned earlier, there are a number of trade associations that electricians can belong to. The most well-known and trusted association is the NICEIC so it might be preferable to choose someone who is registered with them. It’s absolutely fine to choose an electrician who is registered with a different trade association but do bear in mind that some insurance companies won’t let you have work carried out by someone that is not a member of the NICEIC.

When choosing an electrician, there are a number of things you can bear in mind:

  • Read reviews to see what other people’s experiences have been.
  • Look to see if the company has been established for longer than a couple of years as this will mean they are more trustworthy.
  • Make sure they have good customer service and are reliable in picking up phones and providing communication.

Whether you’re looking for plumbers, electricians, or gas safe engineers in Kingston, it’s always a good idea to check out the credentials of whoever you’re hiring!

If you have any questions, or would be interested in using our registered tradesmen for some work, give us a call on 0208 640 7907 or get in touch with us here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *